Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wakkerstroom...

Sorry where? Dont worry that is what most people ask me when I tell them the town my parents have chosen as their retirement "home". It was my reaction when they first told me they were moving there...

Wakkerstroom is located 27km out of Volksrust in the province of Mpumalanga. It is known as the "Jewel of Mpumalanga"

It is famous "I think" for its bird reserve.




(My mom is avid photographer and birder so you can see the draw card for her)

The scenery of the mountains is magnificient.



The wetlands are stunning all year round

The town is small, quiet and close knit and is a wonderful place in South Africa to visit, to add to your list of places ventured. Since there is not much to do  you will have plenty of time to rest, talk walks and take in the beautiful landscape.

The Country Inn, located in the centre of town, makes the best english breakfast you will ever taste. It is our family tradition to go there on a Sunday morning when we visit my parents. At Christmas time my whole family was there (like 18 of us) and we took up most of the restaurant. We make sure we get there early so we dont miss out - it would be devastating to go all the way there and miss it....

There is also a stunning quaint bistro as you enter the town. They make delicious tapas and the atmosphere is awesome. Tables are set out in the quiet garden where you can enjoy a lazy lunch.

South Africa is filled with wonderful little towns with character and charm - one more reason I am "Proud of my South Africa"

*Have you been to Wakkerstroom? Please share your thoughts on the town...

If you would like more detailed information, go have a look at http://www.wakkerstroom.co.za/

*Pictures courtesy of Sandy Mckenna

No comments:

Post a Comment